Saturday, January 24, 2009

words and signs


When Nolan was 15 months old, he had seventy signs in his vocabulary. Signing was his main form of communication and he was good at it. He knew signs for most of the things we saw every day, and also made up signs on his own for words I hadn't taught him. SInce this time, Nolan has added hundreds of words to his vocabulary. So many words, I can't even count them. He speaks consistently in 3 and 4 words sentences. He even uses sentences to recall past events that I would be sure he would have forgotten by now. Just yesterday he was telling me about going to the ocean with Katie, Robby, Michael, Grandmom, Aunt Kris, and Aunt Aimee.
But when his mouth is full, he still resorts to his signing. How clever that he knows he can efficiently communicate his wants and needs even when he can't use his mouth.
All I can say is that his language skills are a dream for an SLP mom!

1 comment:

Bekah said...

What a smart boy! Goodness, looks and brains? He's going to be a heart-breaker!

I want to start teaching Liv signs but I don't know any! Are there any good DVD's to teach me how to teach her?